Development of research infrastructure for the international competitiveness of the Slovenian RDI area - RI-SI-ELIXIR
Purpose of the operation:
- strengthening national research capacities in the fields of life sciences,
- effective transfer of new knowledge to health and economic branches related to biological processes,
- effective networking of consortium partners with related partners in other national infrastructures in science, life sciences and advanced computer technologies,
- fruitful connection of the ELIXIR-SI node with other nodes in the European ELIXIR network,
- establishing a research, development and study environment that will enable the raising of knowledge and innovation of our researchers to the highest international level.
Objectives of the operation:
- establishment of a central national data node in coordination with other complementary infrastructures within the NRRI,
- setting up a central national infrastructure for obtaining high-density data,
- Establishment of a Life Sciences Education and Training Center for the use of bioinformatics tools and services.
The operation is implemented under the Operational Program for the Implementation of the European Cohesion Policy 2014-2020 under Priority Axis 1: “International competitiveness of research, innovation and technological development in line with smart specialization for enhanced competitiveness and greening of the economy”, priority investment 1.1 “Enhancing research and innovation (R&I) infrastructure and capacities to develop R&I excellence, and promoting centres of competence, in particular those of European interestinterest “, specific objective 1.1.1” Efficient use of the research infrastructure and development of knowledge/competences to improve national and international collaboration in the knowledge triangle”.
Project duration: 1. 6. 2018 do 31. 8. 2021
Amount of funds requested for operation is 5.260.000 EUR, of which amount:
- contribution EU: 4.208.000 EUR
- contribution SLO: 1.052.000 EUR.
University of Ljubljana with members Faculty of Medicine (coordinator), Biotechnical Faculty, Faculty of Computer and Information Science, and Veterinary Faculty.
- Jožef Stefan Institute
- National Institute of Chemistry
- Agricultural Institute of Slovenia
- National Institute of Biology
- University of Maribor
Intermediate body: Ministry of Education, Science and Sport
Link to the website of European cohesion policy in Slovenia http://www.eu-skladi.si/?set_language=en.
With the infrastructure project ELIXIR-SI RI-SI-2, we will upgrade the existing and establish a new research infrastructure in the field of life sciences in Slovenia.
The state-of-the-art infrastructure will connect researchers and enable easier exchange and storage of data in the Slovenian research area through three pillars:
- national infrastructure for obtaining high-density data with high-throughput laboratory technologies (genomic technologies),
- a central national data node for life sciences and
- center for education and training in life sciences (usage of bioinformatic tools, analysis and services).
With this project, the Slovenian ELIXIR node will contribute to the improvement of individual’s health and to the entire society, for example in the areas of:
- personal human medicine,
- managing epidemics (also COVID-19),
- personal veterinary medicine,
- systems biology and medicine,
- digitization and robotization of agriculture,
- improving plant varieties and developing new approaches to plant disease detection,
- improving biotechnological processes in food.